The SXSW excitement is getting to us here in the IntegratePR office! Although it will be the first trip for some of us, Britney Munguia, SXSW veteran wrote a few tips on surviving the madness last year that we thought we’d share.
- Plan ahead – Check the schedule on SXSW.com and see which sessions pique your interest. If you can commit to going to it, take some time to look up the speaker and be ready to ask questions. This morning, the IPR team sat around the conference table and mapped out the weekend – it was great to make sure we have our bases covered and will get the most out of South By.
- Bring a Day Pack – Fill a backpack with all the essentials: a change of clothes, a light jacket or sweater and deodorant. Best to be prepared, and comfortable.
- Remember your business cards – SXSW is a great way to learn new information all while being surrounded by thousands of your peers, and the networking is truly invaluable. You’ll be in a situation to meet lots of new people so come prepared!
- Remember your I.D. – This is probably the most important item. Every event will need valid identification, and without it you’ll be turned away at the door.
- Wear comfortable shoes – You’re going to be walking a lot. Unfortunately you may have to choose comfort over fashion, because blisters are the worst.
- Remember your cell phone charger – SXSW is pretty spread out, and you’re not going to know where everything is located. Looking up maps, venue locations and directions will suck the battery life straight out of your phone. There will be charging stations for mobile devices set up in various locations.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water, especially since you’ll be hanging out in the sun for several hours.
- Talk to strangers – Not only ok to do, but also encouraged! You’ll be around everyone in your industry – why not take advantage of this opportunity to connect with them?
Whew – are you ready yet? Let us know if you’ll be attending the conference.