Cheering on our favorite sports team is a true American pastime. Watching the game is a ritual we hold dear, and each sports fan has their own superstitions with gear they like to wear, foods they like to eat, places they like to sit, etc. while they root for their beloved team’s namesake. Usually, when we’re watching sports, we have some sort of connection to not only a team, but the individual players as well. A quarterback, star player, or team captain is usually whom we look to when things go right during a game, and also whom we blame when things take a turn for the worse. Today we pose the question: is this always fair? Is the team or the individual to blame when a game doesn’t turn out the way we want it to?
This week, Forbes released their list of the most disliked athletes in America, and it’s no surprise to us who topped the list:
10. Tony Romo – He’s never been in trouble off the field, but keeping the Cowboys from the Super Bowl this year has put a bad taste in many fans’ mouths.
9. Kobe Bryant – It’s hard for people to forget the rape allegation that was never prosecuted, and the constant divorce drama with Kobe and his wife, Vanessa.
8. Kurt Busch – Often perceived as arrogant by other team members, Busch commonly publicly feuds with journalists and other drivers.
7. Michael Vick – Vick used to occupy the top spot on this list, and although this has changed, people don’t forget cruelty to animals.
6. Alex Rodriguez – Performing enhancing drug scandals, dating Madonna and Cameron Diaz, and a general cocky demeanor, means Rodriguez lands at #6.
5. Metta World Peace – This NBA bad boy has assaulted other league members and been suspended from numerous games.
4. Jay Cutler – Cold and standoffish to media and the general public, maybe Cutler will warm up now that he’s a new father.
3. Tiger Woods – Constantly in the public eye because of his infidelity to supermodel wife Elin Nordegren, and lackluster performances as of late, we predict Woods will stay at the top of this list for quite some time.
2. Manti Te’o – Once a media darling, Te’o has become less appealing now that the public suspects him of fudging his relationship with a fake online girlfriend for attention.
1. Lance Armstrong –Some feel his recent confession to Oprah was insincere and despite his coming clean, many think he still has much more to hide.
Past players who have been on this list but have now disappeared include Kris Humphries, Plaxico Burress, and Ndamukong Suh, among others. As we’ve discussed in a previous blog post, America is quick to blame, but also quick to forgive.
Do you see this list changing drastically year to year, or is America really sick of these athletes’ bad behavior? How do you think these players could remove themselves from this list? Tell us on our Facebook page!