Today LinkedIn announced that it has surpassed 100 million users. The career development-based site was launched in May 2003 and achieved profitability fairly quickly.
It took LinkedIn six year to reach 50 million users, however in the last year and a half it easily doubled that number to reach today’s user numbers. As of October of last year, the site had hit 85 million users, and eventually reached 90 million by the time the company decided to go public in early 2011.
LinkedIn currently gains one new member per second…which is kind of crazy to think about!
In honor of LinkedIn’s achievement we’d like to share with some cool statistics we found on Mashable:
- 56% of LinkedIn users are outside of the United States
- Brazil is the country with the fastest growing use of LinkedIn
- Most LinkedIn activity takes place during the workday
- There are 1 million teachers on LinkedIn
- LinkedIn gets 5.5 billion page views per month
- ebay, Apple, and Campbells are some of the top companies represented on LinkedIn
If you’re not on LinkedIn yet, it might be a good time to start thinking about making a profile! While Facebook is the king of social networking, LinkedIn is definitely on top of the business social networking niche.
A LinkedIn account can help you connect with other businesses and discover new opportunities or potential employees. You never know where networking will take you, we recommend getting LinkedIn today!