It is no secret that I am a dog person. Anyone who has met me, even once, will tell you. (If you haven’t met me yet, the framed picture of my two pups on my desk might be a giveaway). When I first moved to Houston in 2014, I explored the city through my pups: dog-friendly restaurants, parks, trails, and everything else Houston has to offer. Through those adventures, I created a list of my favorite dog-friendly spots in Houston.
1. Houston Dog Parks: It might seem like an obvious place to start, but Houston is packed with them so it’s worth mentioning. The Inner Loop is home to more than ten alone. A personal Inner Loop favorite is Johnny Steele Dog Park, located in Buffalo Bayou Park. With large bayou swimming areas and two acres of running space, your dog is sure to leave exhausted. If not, you can take your dog on a stroll along scenic Allen Parkway afterwards.
2. No Label Brewery: One thing is true: Houstonians likes their dogs and their beer, and you’ll probably see much crossover among the two. A little bit of a drive from the inner loop to Katy, No Label Brewery is another awesome dog-friendly spot. The brewery has outdoor tastings every Saturday from 12 – 3 p.m. and welcomes dogs and families. Live music, beer tastings and Houston’s best food trucks – what could be better?
3. Revelry on Richmond: Houston is known for its amazing food and almost year-round warm weather and, when paired together, there are a plethora of dog-friendly patios to enjoy. Our favorite is Revelry on Richmond, a craft beer bar and restaurant with a large outdoor patio. In addition to being dog-friendly year round, Revelry also hosts “Yappy Hours:” dog friendly happy hours complete with giveaways, silent auctions, pet adoptions, DJs, discounts and, of course, craft beer aplenty.
4. Houston Rockets Dog Walk: Shortly after I moved to Houston, I participated in the Houston Rockets’ one-mile dog walk benefiting Hermann Park Conservancy, The $35 registration comes with a giveaway bag full of local goodies, dog bandana, t-shirt and tickets to a Rockets Game. Houston is full of dog-centric events like this and they’re a great opportunity to enjoy the outdoors, exercise your pup, and meet new people. Who could say no?
5. Puppies For Breakfast, Houston’s Awesome Dog Fest: First off, this exists. And it’s as adorable as it sounds. More than 40 local dog-friendly vendors gather in downtown’s Market Square Park to offer you and your dog a great time with costume contests, giveaways and Houston’s best breakfast food trucks. Proceeds and donations from the event go to benefit local animal charities.
You may think I’m a crazy dog person, but that’s okay (and probably true). Living in a city with warm weather virtually year round inspires me to get outside and explore. Regardless, letting the pups get some exercise? Well, that’s a no-brainer.
Written By Christina Kuzmic